Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just starting out: Where do I get coupons?



So many people ask me where I find all my coupons. It's a question that can often have an overwhelming answer because there are MANY places. It's always easier when something's in writing. So here is a list of the places that I personally find my coupons.

1. The Sunday Paper - For those of you reading my blog in my neck of the woods (MN/WI) the best choice is the Star Tribune. While the Pioneer Press DOES have coupon inserts...there are always less coupons in their inserts.

2. Magazines - after following my blog for a while you will see that there are TONS of magazine subscriptions that you can get for FREE or for under $5 a year. There are often great coupons to be had as you thumb through the pages. The one that is the best for couponers is the "All You" Magazine. It is literally loaded with coupons. They are sold only at Walmart. (I will post more about this at a later time)

3. Samples/Freebies in the mail - you will see TONS of opportunities to sign up for free samples of new products. Very often these come with some high value coupons. (AND it's very fun to get something besides bills in the mail!)

4. Printable coupons online - Sites like coupons.com, red plum, and smart source have many coupons available to print at home.

5. Feedback - when I truly like a product (or truly do NOT like a product) I go to the company website and find the "contact me" tab and email them directly. Nearly all of them will send back coupons because they are glad to hear HONEST opinions from you, the consumer.

6. Friends!! - Not everyone out there wants to coupon, so lots of coupons end up in recycling on Monday morning. That thought just makes me cringe! What they don't know is that's like throwing money in the trash to a couponer! So, ask around....see if any of your friends are recycling those valuable inserts and ask them if you can "recycle" the inserts for them. :)

Hope this helps some of you out there as you begin hunting for those coupons! This is not an exhaustive list, but it will at least help you get started.

3 comments:

  1. reading this was so helpful. i'm in new jersey and i'm not sure what newspapers/magazines have coupons/inserts.

    as for freebies, how do you know which website is reliable and which is not??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to actually do all the freebies and samples that I put on my blog so I know it's "legit".

    Another way to protect yourself is to set u junk email account (you can do this free on Yahoo). So, instead of having to enter my REAL email I just use my junk account. That protects me from being spammed by non-reliable websites. :) HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops...set *UP* a junk email account..... :)

    ReplyDelete