Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rainy day + Left over ham = Soup for dinner! :)


This has been our view all day today! I guess we're supposed to wake up to 1-2 inches of snow on the ground in the morning. Hard to believe yesterday was sunny and in the 60s! Ah...spring in MN! :)

I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner with the little bit of left over ham from Sunday dinner. (We did ham sandwiches yesterday) Then I remembered this soup recipe that my mom put in our family cookbook several years ago. I don't make it often, but it's a big hit around here when I do.

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
(Byerly's is an upscale grocery store up here in MN)

6 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups wild rice, cooked (I use a mix of wild rice and brown rice)
1/2 cup ham, minced
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped or grated
3 tablespoons almonds, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half

Directions: Melt butter in sauce pan; saute' onion until tender. Mix in flour and gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in rice, carrots, ham almonds, and salt. Simmer about 10-15 minutes. Stir in half and half cream. Heat and serve.

Figured I'd pass the recipe along in case you have left over ham at your house too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment